Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit for High School Students

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Dual Enrollment
Fast Track
Fine and Performing Arts Academy
Fast Track for Industry
How Do I Apply?
Federal Pell Grant Pilot
Future Foundation Scholarship
Career Tech Scholarship
Career Ready Academy
Future Financial Aid
STARS/Transfer Information
Dual Enrollment Manual
Dual Enrollment Brochure
Benefits of Dual Enrollment
Cost Savings:
Tuition and fees at Wallace State are significantly
less than those at four year colleges.

Simultaneous Credit:
Earn credit for both high school graduation and your
college degree with the same amount of coursework!

Educational Advantage:
Get a jump start on your college career while easing
the transition from high school to college.

Dual Enrollment Students:
  • Are more likely to enroll in college right out of high
  • Earn higher first year GPAs
  • Are more likely to continue on to the second year
    of college—making them more likely to finish!

What is Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit?
Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit refers to a student receiving both high school and college credit for coursework completed for a particular course taught at the high school, at WSCC, or online.

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit and Articulated Credit?
Articulated Credit allows a student to receive credit for a high school course when the content matches the college curriculum for a “like course.” The course has been approved by both the local school system and the College. The student receives articulated college credit for the course upon graduation from the high school and admission to WSCC. For more information regarding articulated credit, please visit http://web.alsde.edu/

Am I Eligible to take college classes?
Eligible students must:

  • Be in the 11th or 12th grade at the time of enrolling in a Dual Enrollment/ Dual Credit course - some schools will allow students to begin during 10th grade
  • Have a 3.0 GPA in completed high school courses to enroll in Fast Track Academy
  • Have a 2.5 GPA in completed high school courses to enroll in dual enrollment, Fast Track for Industry, career technical or health science courses
  • Provide current high school transcript as documentation of the student’s cumulative grade average
  • Meet the admission requirements of the College for the academic or career technical program selected by the student
  • Have written approval of the appropriate principal and local superintendent
  • Complete the ACT or ACCUPLACER Placement Exam in order to determine placement in English and math courses and meet pre-requisites for all approved courses at the College.

How do I apply?
1) Discuss Dual Enrollment / Dual Credit options with your high school counselor to determine if you are eligible to enroll for Dual Enrollment / Dual Credit at WSCC
2) Complete an Application for Admission
3) Complete the appropriate application for Fast Track Academy, Fast Track for Industry, Fine and Performing Arts Academy, or the Dual Enrollment Permission Form. Return the completed form(s) to your high school counselor. 

Do I have to take the ACCUPLACER test?

All students must take all sections of the ACCUPLACER placement exam or ACT prior to beginning their 12th grade year of high school or before enrolling in English or math courses. The ACCUPLACER requirement can be waived if a student has an 18 on the English portion of the ACT and a 20 on the math portion.

If a student has a 18 on the English portion of the ACT but a score of less than 20 on the math portion, that student must take only the math section of the ACCUPLACER exam. This student would still be eligible to take college level English courses regardless of the math score earned on the ACCUPLACER.

If a student has a 20 on the math portion of the ACT but a score of less than 18 on the English portion, that student must take the reading and writing sections of the ACCUPLACER exam. The student is still eligible to enroll in math courses regardless of the reading and writing scores earned on the ACCUPLACER.

For more information regarding ACCUPLACER testing, please visit http://www.wallacestate.edu/advising-center/placement-testing.

What courses are available for Dual Enrollment?
A variety of courses in academic transfer, career technical, and health sciences are available through Dual Enrollment / Dual Credit agreements between the high schools and Wallace State Community College. If a student meets all pre-requisites, most courses offered at WSCC can be taken for dual enrollment credit with the exception of transitional and PED courses. Students should speak with high school guidance counselors regarding specific courses they would like to take. WSCC’s recommended course equivalencies for Dual Enrollment courses are listed below.

High School Course (1 credit unless noted)  WSCC Course Equivalent   High School Course Code  
English 11 ENG 101 and high school lit
or ENG 101 and ENG 102
ENG101 = 903201
ENG102 = 903202
English 12 ENG 101 and high school lit
or ENG 101 and ENG 102 or ENG 261
and ENG 262
ENG261 = 903205
ENG262 = 903206
Anatomy and Physiology BIO 201 901415
DE Biology I BIO 103 901402
DE Biology II BIO 104 901403
General Chemistry CHM 104 902000
Advanced Chemistry CHM 111 902005
Physical Science PHS 111 909400
Physics PHY 115 or PHY 120 PHY115 = 909605
or PHY120 = 909606
Advanced Physics PHY 201 909600
Math Elective (12th Grade) MTH 103 or MTH 116 MTH103 = 907619
or MTH116 = 907621
DE Pre-Calculus Algebra MTH 112 907601
DE Pre-Calculus Trigonometry MTH 113 907602
Calculus MTH 125 907605
U.S. History I * HIS 201 905004
U.S. History II HIS 202 905005
Economics (1/2 credit) ECO 231 902600
U.S. Government (1/2 credit) POL 211 909801
Psychology PSY 200 910200
Sociology SOC 200 911400
Spanish I SPA 101 911600
Speech (1/2 credit) SPH 106 or SPH 107 SPH106 = 911800
or SPH107 = 911801
Other Approved Electives 3 Semester Hours = 1 Credit
Approved Career Technical Courses 3 Semester Hours = 1 Credit

Will Dual Enrollment / Dual Credit courses transfer to other colleges and universities?
Academic transfer courses will transfer to most four year colleges and universities in Alabama. The Statewide Transfer Articulation System (STARS) provides information on courses that transfer from Wallace State to Alabama’s public four-year institutions. For information on STARS and transfer credit in Alabama, please visit http://stars.troy.edu. Students who plan to attend a private college or university or an out of state school should contact the institution in which they plan to attend for specific transfer information. Career technical courses are not designed for transfer. However, these courses allow students to get a jump start in a technical career program at Wallace State. These courses can lead to an Associate in Applied Science degree or certificate and can help with early employment opportunities in today’s highly skilled work-force.

For more information regarding dual enrollment, please contact:


or call 256.352.8241