Welcome to Wallace State Community College – veterans, national guard/reservists,
and dependents/survivors are eligible for VA education benefits.
Students receiving VA education benefits must provide the VA Certifying Official with a list of registered classes each semester for continuation of monthly benefit payments. Veterans and National Guard/Reservists must verify their enrollment on the last day of each month through WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) website https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do or by calling 877-823-2378.
Beginning with terms starting after December 17, 2021, students using their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits will be required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month. Failure to verify for two consecutive months will impact their Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is encouraging students to sign up for text message verification. This will provide students a simple and convenient verification option and ensure they receive MHA and/or kicker payments uninterrupted.
After December 17, 2021, all impacted students with a US mobile phone number on file will receive an opt-in text as their next enrollment period approaches. Note: Students who do not have a US mobile phone number on file with VA will not be able to use text verification. They will be automatically enrolled into email verification.
- Credit for courses taken while in the military will be evaluated according to nationally recognized guidelines, e.g. Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Services Support (DANTES) and/or American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines.
- The student is responsible for having the scores sent to the Office of Admissions.
- Credit for courses with acceptable scores will be posted to the student's transcript.
The following individuals shall be charged a rate of tuition not to exceed the in-state rate for tuition and fees purposes:
• A Veteran using education assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
• Anyone using transferred Post- 9/11 GI Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. §3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
• Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three year period following discharge or release as described above and must be using education benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.
• Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. §3311 (b)(9)) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).
• Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. §3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
• The policy shall be read to be amended as necessary to be compliant with the requirements of 38 U.S.C. §3679 as amended.
Complaint Policy for Students Receiving VA Education Benefits
Any complaint against the school should be routed through the VA GI Bill Feedback System by going to the following link: http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/Feedback.asp. The VA will then follow up through the appropriate channels to investigate the complaint and resolve it satisfactorily.
For more information about VA benefits programs and assistance with completing the application for benefits please download the information packet above or contact: