Wallace State’s Tutoring Lab
About the Tutoring Lab
We are a one-stop center for free academic tutoring for all Wallace State students. Our mission is to facilitate a student-centered,
student-friendly supportive learning environment through academic assistance to any
student enrolled at WSCC.
- To empower and encourage students toward academic excellence by reinforcing classroom instruction and providing supplemental instruction
- To support students with bridging the gap between content knowledge and practical application within course work
- To assist in forging foundational relationships between students and the College
- To foster a collaborative and cooperative partnership with faculty
- To provide one-on-one learning experiences in a conducive, engaging environment
- To improve soft skills of tutors needed for today’s work environment such as problem solving, teamwork, communication, interpersonal, accountability and professionalism
Our staff is comprised of peer tutors who specialize in various subject areas, three full-time professional coordinators specialized in English, math, or biology/chemistry, and a director. The staff undergoes year-round training to ensure that students receive the best support.
We offer one-on-one and group tutoring in all of the academic subjects offered at Wallace State, including
- All English courses (composition and literature courses)
- Math from Elementary Algebra to Calculus III
- Biology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry
- Computer Science Courses
- Freshman Orientation
- And many other academic courses
Along with specific course tutoring, we also help students improve their
- Study habits
- Writing and reading skills
- Cover letters and resumes
We also have a computer courtyard on our floor, where students have access to 25 computers. The computer courtyard is a safe and quiet place for students to take online tests and complete online homework, conduct research, write papers, work on assignments, and much more.
Hours and Location
On the Hanceville campus, we are located in the Bailey Center on the 8th floor. Our tutoring lab is an “open-lab,” meaning no appointment is necessary. Students are welcome to visit the lab any time we are open and receive one-on-one and group tutoring. Students will sign-in at the front desk with their A-number and then be assigned a tutor. Students may stay as long or as little as they please.
Students may also visit the lab for independent study. Students are welcome to come
to the lab to work on assignments independently and ask for help as needed.
Main Campus - Bailey Center 8th Floor
Monday – Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Oneonta Academic Center - Room 127
Tuesday – Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
For more information call 256.352.7821 or send e-mail to email@example.com
Interested in Becoming a Peer Tutor?
Do you have at least a 3.0 overall GPA? Have you earned a “B” or higher in the classes you wish to tutor in? Then consider applying to be a peer tutor.
Complete the application and email it to the coordinator for the subject area you wish to tutor in or to firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet the Staff
How to Use the Tutoring Lab
Get Started Today
Take the first step towards a better future.